Friday, March 13, 2009

And now for something completely different

My wife's bluetooth headset uses a non-rechargable AAAA battery.  Right.  Where do you get AAAA batteries?

Answer: ask the web; it knows everything.  And it says "inside a 9-volt battery".

I slipped a letter opener under the bottom edge of a new 9-volt battery where the metal meets the cardboard and lifted up a corner.  Then, with a pair of pliars, I peeled off the cover.  Here's what I found:




The batteries are held together with a bit of blue shrink-wrap, which I sliced off:




Now they come apart like an accordian.  They're held together with spot-welded straps.



By gently pulling them apart, each battery came off with one or two bits of joining strip; gently pulling THAT off with a pair of pliers gave me 6 batteries and some scrap.




After lightly filing off the sharp corner left by pulling off the welded strap, I had 6 AAAA batteries for about $2.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment